Développements récents et à venir en droit constitutionnel
Université de Montréal, Pavillon 3200 Jean-Brillant, room B-1248Link to the event
March 22, 2019, 1pm
This course will examine the recent developments in constitutional law at the Supreme Court of Canada, mainly under the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms and the Constitution Act, 1867.
The discussion will also include an overview of the Supreme Court’s upcoming decisions as well as the most important decisions of the Federal Court of Appeal and the Québec Court of Appeal over the past year.
The course will be given in French and will be also be accessible as a webcast.
List of cases to be discussed (provisional)
1. Division of Powers
- Orphan Well Association v. Grant Thornton Ltd., 2019 SCC 5
- British Columbia Investment Management Corporation v. Canada (AG), 2018 BCCA 47, application for leave to appeal allowed, SCC, 2018-10-11, 38059
- Québec AG v. Leclerc, 2018 QCCA 1567, application for leave to appeal filed, SCC, 2018-11-26, 38414
- Reference re Pan‑Canadian Securities Regulation, 2018 SCC 48
- Renvoi relatif à la Loi sur la non-discrimination génétique, 2018 QCCA 2193, avis d’appel déposé, SCC, 2019-01-16, 38478
- CSQ v. Québec (AG),  1 SCR 522, 2018 SCC 18
- Frank v. Canada (AG), 2019 SCC 1
- LSBC v. TWU, 2018 SCC 32; TWU v. Barreau du Haut‑Canada, 2018 SCC 33
- Ktunaxa Nation v. B.-C.,  2 SCR 386, 2017 SCC 54
- Québec (AG) v. APTS,  1 SCR 464, 2018 SCC 17
3. Extent of Judicial Review
- Highwood Congregation of Jehovah’s Witnesses v. Wall, 2018 SCC 26
- Bessette v. British Columbia (AG), 2017 BCCA 264, appeal heard, SCC (judgment reserved), 2018-11-15, 37790
- Schmidt v. Canada (AG), 2018 FCA 55, application for leave to appeal filed, SCC, 2018-06-20, 38179
This content has been updated on 7 March 2019 at 15 h 03 min.